Homeowners can use this manual to learn more about ADUs and their benefits. It guides homeowners through the ADU development process, from checking a property for the basic requirements to choosing a tenant.
- The Initial Considerations section asks homeowners to reflect on the responsibilities of managing an ADU then discusses the basic requirements.
- The Getting Started section offers key considerations such as hiring construction professionals and how to finance the project.
- Designing the ADU offers planning and design tips, including floor plan examples.
- Permitting and Construction outlines the building permit process and what to expect during construction.
- For those who do not have experience managing a rental unit, Being a Landlord summarizes the responsibilities of the landlord and shows examples of a rental application and lease agreement.
- The appendix of this manual contains resources that could be of use to the homeowner throughout the process.
Although this manual aims to provide homeowners with enough information to get an ADU project started, it is merely a guide and does not replace the need for professional services throughout the process. Additionally, information in this manual is subject to change, as ADUs are new to the City and County of Honolulu. The manual will be updated as new information becomes available.